Automation is one of those things that makes life a little bit easier.
I’m certainly someone who likes to automate wherever I can, and nowhere more so in my digital notifications.
As a Rise.global regular I look out for updates to my score on Twitter Followers Club and Twitter Activity Club. I am actively trying to improve my use of Twitter at the moment so I find both boards provide helpful analytics for me to optimise with.
However, the updates come via email and I’m also someone who gets a deluge of email so the updates are sometimes missed.
This is where Zapier comes in for me – Zapier is a kind of bridge between different software systems. If something happens on one system, it can then trigger activity on another.
“Wonderful” I thought, “perhaps Zapier can help me get notifications direct to my mobile phone?”
Adn Indeed it does, Zapier supports “Pushover” a dedicated notifications service for my mobile.
So all I needed to do was to get Zapier to look out for releases of the boards I’m interested in and then get Pushover to notify me of my latest score directly onto my phone.
Here’s the result:
Now you can see, alongside my other phone notifications I get my latest Twitter Followers Club score.
Because this is Zapier, I could have done this for a whole host of others services too such as adding a new to do item to Asana or a new card on Trello. I can even configure it to post out to Twitter on my behalf, letting my followers know my awesome new score.
Automation made that bit easier with Zapier.
How I did it
If you’re interested in copying me and setting up a notification for yourself then here’s how I did it, step by step. You’ll of course need your own Zapier.com account to do it.
- Sign up with Zapier.com
- Add the Rise.global app
- On Rise.global, sign in, go to Edit Profile then API key and click the button to generate your api key (you’ll need this later on)
- On Zapier create a zap
- Choose Rise as the Trigger
- In the options you’ll need to use your API key to connect Zapier to your Rise.global account
- Now choose which Rise Board you want to be the trigger for activity each time it releases (typically weekly for most Rise Boards).
- Now set up the Action. I chose to use Pushover but you could use a different app you’re more familiar with.
- Now inside your notification, and this is the fiddly bit, you need to define the message that you want to send, each time the release occurs.
Here you can see I am using Board Name, the name of the release, my score and my rank as the merge fields.
- That’s it, test your zap and then turn it on. Now sit back and wait for your personal analytics news to come to you!